Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Tutorial For Putting QAYG Blocks Together.

 I've had a few questions about putting the QAYG blocks together and I would love it if some of you are willing to finish them too. Eleven years ago I used to finish 3 quilts a day using 35 QAYG blocks in each and we ate salads for 3 months as there was no time for cooking. Lol. Thankfully DH has now learnt how to cook. I think I can probably manage to finish 2 of these a day now as I'm not as young as I was. Lol. Today I finished one large QAYG quilt and I  pin basted another 4 tops to quilt, so I will have photos to share of finished quilts soon.

 I make the QAYG blocks 11 inches and then trim them back to 10.5 inches. To join them I place the backs together.
 Then place the binding strip (2.5" wide and pressed in half the same as binding) along the edges of the block and stitch through the binding strip and both blocks . I stitch about 3/8ths of an inch in so the seam is a bit wider than normal quarter inch seam.
 Then press the seam open so that it flattens the seam. Then press the binding strip in place over the open seam.
 Pin the seam in place.
 Then stitch along the edge of the binding.
HINTS: * Some of the blocks can be a bit bulky, depending on the batting used so I trim the batting across each corner to lessen bulk where the blocks join.
* DON'T use the cheap and thick poly batting you can buy at chain stores as it's too thick to stitch through the layers.
* You can use fleece instead of batting as it will be warm and all enclosed by the binding.
* You can combine different batting in the blocks.  If some batting is thicker then I try to alternate those blocks with those made with thinner batting, or use them as some of the blocks on the outside edges. 
* I've started using poly cotton now for the binding strips as it's thinner and easier to stitch through the layers than quilters cotton. It also wears well. I buy it for $4 a metre at Spotlight but often get it at half price.
* Plain binding strips helps to tie the blocks made from different quilters together .
* I finish the outside edges by binding as normal .
There can still be a small bulge along the seams but the quilt will be sturdy and I don't have time to hand stitch all the seams down to flatten them.
I hope this helps and please ask if you have any questions.
Hugs, Jan Mac 

1 comment:

Bizarre Quilter said...

I started joining mine into rows, and found it quite a tricky thing to stitch that final seam!

I can see why so many people post their blocks to you for completion!

Thank you for the tutorial. I am sure mine will improve with practise x