Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The Quilt Factory Has Expanded.

 The escalating effects of Covid-19 virus means that we had to pause distributing the quilts for the Oz Comfort Quilts bushfire quilt appeal.  So we didn't continue living in a quilt factory,  there was a rush to box up all the quilts here and get them into storage. That happened on the weekend and we managed to move them before it rained and before the government put the State into lockdown.
 That was a lot of work but it was good to have it finished.  I have plenty of tops to quilt and will keep working on them so we will have plenty of quilts on hand when we can start distribution again.  We placed 363 quilts into storage and we have distributed 85 quilts in Corryong so far. Now that we have created space I will have room at home for those quilts I will be finishing now.
 As we were packing away the finished quilts I was contacted by a major Melbourne hospital and asked if we could provide them with 50 each of Drs gowns, masks and scrub hats,  as soon as possible,  so they could be used when training med students, anaethestists etc . They need 50 as they are starting to train and retrain medical staff to be available for a possible tsunami of Covid-19 virus patients needing intensive care and ventilation. The hospital provided a disposable gown which I used to draft a pattern.
 I also made a face mask to their directions.
So far, I have made 7 gowns and an AQA friend made 2 gowns, masks and scrub hats since Monday. The hospital has approved the gown and mask and I will keep making them and hope we can get them made quickly enough for their training program.
Hugs, Jan Mac

5 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my goodness, the things you get involved in. You are very generous with your time and efforts. Take care.

Jenny said...

I'm always amazed at what you achieve, well done!

kiwikid said...

Y9u are amazing with all that you do Jan.

retdairyqueen said...

You are a truly amazing lady
I know you do not want finished quilts atm (I have a couple ready when you are) but do you want me to send the quilt tops I have made or would you prefer to hang on to them?
I am busy making masks for our local Medical Centre at present

ButterZ said...

You are amazing.
Do you have a pattern for the masks.
Do you need fabric for the gowns or can you supply a pattern