Sunday, August 25, 2019

Weekly Catch Up.

 I had a couple of child-free days this week so I took advantage of having more free time to finish off some more quilt tops. These 6 tops were all made by members of my quilting group, AQA.
     As members often don't have hand stitching to work on at meetings,  I started preparing some of our scrap fabric into 1 inch hexagons. Then I bagged them up and our other gift quilt ladies helped as well and we put out a basket of them bagged up, at each meeting for members to stitch and return. These are then used to make more gift quilts and the first 3 quilts here use some of those hexagons. They look good with scraps stitched into Chinese Coins strips.

 We used to run a block pattern each month for members to try new patterns and make one to donate and one to go into a "draw". If you won the "draw" then you won a set of blocks.  We have suspended that now and one of our gifg quilt ladies is a whiz at finding free patterns online and making up kits for members to take home to piece. She looks for designs which use new techniques and it teaches members new skills.


All if our gift quilts differ in colour and design and I enjoy quilting and binding them. That way I have the fun of playing with lots of different fabrics and I don't have to store more quilts for me. My monthly target is 8 tops quilted for our Gift Quilt Program and I am hoping to expand that to 100 a year. Once I have finished those gor the month, I then work on my UFOs to finish and donate as well as finishing donated QAYG blocks and making more quilts from donated fabric.
 It was also our precious grandson, Jake's birthday yesterday and we had a lovely day of celebrations. He has been playing with more hexagon cardboard and fabric during the week and loves copying what I do.
It's hard to believe that he's 2 already and such a wonderful addition to our lives. I didn't get any photos at his party as I was too busy but hope to have some of my DD's to share soon.
Another busy week but lots of fun too.
Hugs, Jan Mac 

2 comments:

Linda said...

Lovely collection of finished quilts - you certainly rattle through them! Love the idea of using the hexies in columns in the Chinese Coin Quilts. Jake looks a proper little boy now, very mature for 2.

Sarah in Houston said...

You amazing me! You get so much done! Its awesome! What a precious boy, too. Grandchildren are the best - mine are 6-girl & 9-boy. Have a great week