Sunday, March 10, 2019

Getting UFO Tops Quilted.

 Lots of quilting happening here after a quiet week last week as we are starting a 3 day long weekend. I still have boxes of donated tops to quilt and it's a relief to finally get them finished and ready for donation. This lovely quilt in shades of blue and aqua will be ideal for a male patient at Peter Mac Cancer Centre.
 This lovely top was donated by Jo from Qld and it's the second part of a larger top that I divided into 2 as the original was too large for donation purposes.  Just adding a black border where I divided them has made 2 lovely tops to donate. This one will be going to Peter Mac as well.
 This lovely quilt was also a much larger top, as you can see in the photo below,  before I reduced it in size. The removed blocks will be made into another donation quilt too. Mostly I make, or remake, tops to about the largest size of 50 x 70 inches, which is a good lap size. I supply my own batting and usually the backing too, so I  prefer not to make them too large and the organizations we supply with donated quilts are happy with that size too. Quilts for women and children are usually smaller but I try to avoid making them too small for chikdren so they can grow into them as they age.
 The quilt below originally had a very dark border which I  replaced as the size was suitable for a child but the fabric wasn't.  Adding a lighter purple fabric will hopefully appeal to a young girl who loves purple.
 Of course the fabric from the original dark border will be used elsewhere. Jake is finally almost over the chest infection and diarrhoea, and more importantly his sleeping will hopefully improve.
I still have 2 more days to quilt but did so much yesterday that I might take it a bit easier today. I hope you're enjoying some time to stitch as well.
Hugs, Jan Mac

No comments: