Thursday, October 29, 2020

Donations Delivered.

The effects of the pandemic have caused so many challenges, especially to the vulnerable, with increases in domestic violence, homelessness and financial difficulties.  One organization which has been helping disadvantaged young mums and their children,  as well as people affected by the Victorian  bushfires,  is St Kilda Mums.  Their requests for assistance has increased by 30% since the pandemic so I  contacted them to see uf we could help them.

     They are in real need of blankets, as well as clothing, baby items etc. I already knit and sew items for them and offered blankets as the bushfire areas we had visited hadn't needed them, having already received quite a number from other groups. I was really surprised to find how many blankets that we had on hand, as well as some I had made. I kept some blankets back in case they were needed when we visit the bushfire areas again, but I prefer not to keep too many donations here when there is such a need in so many communities. I boxed up 60 blankets, many SB size as well as some bassinet and cot sized. I also donated 11 SB quilts as they don't accept baby quilts due to the risk of SIDS, and I also included baby wraps, clothing etc.

I received some lovely flannelette from Margaret Humphrey and made them into baby wraps and also included the baby layettes I have been knitting as well as a fairly new high chair which we weren't using.

St Kilda Mums has a good reputation and I am confident that our donated items will reach those in need and bring comfort to them. Thank you everyone for helping me to help so many people in need with your very generous donations. 

Hugs, Jan Mac
 

3 comments:

Louise said...

I'm so glad to hear you were able to send such a large donation to them. You're right that there is such a great need this year. People are struggling everywhere and it is heartbreaking.

Linda said...

Well done, Jan. The organisation you delivered the quilts and baby sets to sounds excellent. All you hard work and persistence is paying off.

Maria said...

It's so good to spread the love of all the donated blankets and baby items..
Pretty baby layette Jan.