Friday, August 28, 2020

UFO Finishes No. 10 and 11.

 It's great to have another 2 long term UFOs finished and these were commenced in approximately 1998. Like lots of UFOs progress stalled as more urgent finishes took precedence.
   My daughter made the first top when she was 14 and she's now 36 so it's time to finally finish it. Hopefully she won't read my blog as this is supposed to be a surprise for her when we can finally meet again. I remember how much she enjoyed sorting thtough my boxes of scraps to select her fabrics and this is her first quilt, after piecing a patchwork cushion cover. She spent lots of time selecting fabrics and sewing them together while I cut the squares and pressed her seams for her. My job was to quilt it and I should have done it at the time but was busy with studies, work etc. It sat for a few years and when she found it again she'd fallen out of love with it and wanted to take it apart and add sashing between the blocks. She had added an aqua border to it too and I got as far as removing the border before it was put away again.
    While sorting boxes of dabric in the sewing room I found it again and decided to add new borders and quilt it for her so I hope she's happy with it. As her piecing was very accurate and it's her first quilt I thought it should be kept as her 14 year old self planned it. Adding double borders helped to give it a lift and it can be useful for a picnic blanket,  a fort for the boys etc. It's  a shame she fell out of love with it as she's made quite a few baby quilts since then and now she prefers more modern fabric. Lots of these fabrics were from my dressmaking scraps, baby clothes etc and I am going to write a little letter to be put behind the label so she remembers the fun she had with the whole process.
It looks much better now than tossed into a box and unloved so hopefully she will fall in love with it again, or at least appreciate her workmanship.
When I found the first top I also found this one which was started about the same time. I thought I may as well finish this one too as a donation quilt and I used the aqua borders which had been made for the first quilt.  They weren't quite big enough so I used the trick of adding squares of different fabric in the corners.
    Not as many UFOs finished as last year but any finishes are better than none. How about your UFOs? Is Covid isolation inspiring you to get some finished? I'm trying to use what I have on hand and it does mean that I have to be more creative which is a good thing too.
Hugs, Jan Mac 

1 comment:

Maria said...

How wonderful to finally complete your DDS long time UFO and lots of others ..
Loved the letters in previous posts...