Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Scrap Busting.

 Today was a good day for sorting my scraps and when I found that my pile of 5 inch squares was overflowing it was time to use some of them in another quilt. I chose a pattern from the book I showed in my last post and made a variation of Sarah's Choice.

 Firstly you stitch 2 five inch squares right side facing each other, and stitching a 1/4 inch seam all around the outer edge of the squares.
Then cut through on the diagonals in both directions.
Then press and open up the half square triangles which have formed. I press lightly and then trim them to 3 inches each. These are all on the bias so you need to work carefully so you don't stretch the sides out of shape.
Then I made them into a pinwheel shape. When I add the outer pieces of the green star points it stabilizes the bias edges of the pinwheels. I've chosen to work in autumn colors and I found the cream and green fabrics in my stash. The blocks go together quickly and the pile of 5 inch squares is still high so I can see I need to make lots more blocks. It's a great way to use up some of those less pretty 5 inch squares. I hope to get more done tomorrow.
Hugs, Jan Mac

1 comment:

Maria said...

Great technique, Jan...must give it a try!