Sunday, January 11, 2015

Building Blocks.

While I am sorting scraps from other projects I like to make what I call "building blocks" such as half square triangles. This gives me a head start on making quilt tops. This pattern is a Split Nine Patch and I started making blocks last year. I have a container of fabric squares for 2.5 inch as well as one for the same sized half square triangles. When I have enough I choose a pattern and start making blocks.
I already had enough for half a quilt so I made some more yesterday to have enough for this top.
This is a good pattern for scraps and I concentrate on making the half square triangles from any fabrics which read as light with med/dark. I always find I have less lights than any other so I need to focus my buying on lights.
The cats had a play on my design floor and rearranged the blocks.
I made enough for a top with the blocks measuring 6 inch finished and set 6 x 8.
I added 5.5 inch borders which make the top 47 inch by 71 inches. This will most likely be another donation quilt and it's one of my newer UFOs as I only started the blocks last year. I plan to finish the quilting soon so it will be another one off my list. Last night was spent crawling around the floor cutting fabric for curtains for DD's new home. It was much harder than quilting but as I have a whole house-full to make I thought I'd better get started, regardless of the hot weather. I'd rather be quilting so I plan on another UFO finish very soon.
 Hugs, Jan Mac

1 comment:

Maria said...

I love this! What a great way to use up scraps!