Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Finally A Finish.


It didn't take me long to hand stitch the binding down on this quilt and now it's finally finished. I must have quilted it 4 or 5 years ago and then I wasn't happy with the binding on the irregular edges and so it sat while I procrastinated on whether or not to try replacing the binding. Finally I decided finished was better than perfect and just got it done! I guess it's not too bad to be waiting for binding when it took 70 or more years to quilt it.
 Of course it wasn't one of my UFOs but one I'd purchased as a top from a dealer in the US, probably in the mid 1990s. It's hand pieced and it will be much easier to enjoy as a quilt than a top. As I'm working on these vintage treasures I like to think about the quilter who started the project. Perhaps she was keeping busy with her stitching while she waited for news about a loved one in WW2? It's nothing special historically and I have just outlined the stars with quilting so it doesn't detract or distract from the stitching.
  I am also a very lucky girl as Santa has come early for me. There was a special offer of this beautiful Janome MC7700 sewing machine at half price and free freight from Sydney. DH encouraged me to spend some of my night shift money on this and I'm so happy that it arrived in time for me to have a play before I started nights again. It sews beautifully and is very quiet. The extra large throat space will make quiling easier too. My DD's cat, Sid, has given it a CAT Scan and I've made room for it. I have sewn half of one of the cot quilt tops this afternoon and I love it. I plan to get more of my UFOs, both mine and those I've accquired finished in the near future. I have been traveling a lot this year so not many finishes but I'm having fun and enjoying all the travels both here and abroad.
 Thank you for your kind comments everyone.
Hugs, Jan Mac


2 comments:

Linda said...

I agree - much better finished than sitting gathering dust in a cupboard. A pretty quilt. Well done with the binding, it looks an awkward shape to sew. Perhaps that's why the maker never finished it! Happy sewing on your new machine. Merry Christmas from the UK.

jacaranda said...

Beautiful quilt Jan. Well done on finishing, another to cross off the list. I have loved watching all your projects emerge in 2014. Wishing you and the family a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and sewing productive 2015.