Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Working in Reverse

 I had a lovely afternoon today puddling along with a quilt I have been wanting to make for ages. It was designed by Corliss of Threadbear and is a replica of a mid 1800s quilt. Corliss ran it as a block of the month in 2006. I've been so busy with donation quilts that I just haven't made time to work on this quilt, and as they say "It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"
 I have been working in reverse as the time allows and made the outer half square triangles first and now have started on the second last round of Square in a Square blocks. The instructions are easy to follow so I made a list of all the different blocks I need to make and I'm crossing them off as they are done. I need to prep the hand applique now and make more Ohio Star blocks when I finish the Sq in a Sq blocks. Having sorted my civil war repro fabric has made it easier to make decisions about fabric choices and it won;t take me long to actually put this quilt together once I have all the blocks done. I'm really pleased with my progress and hope to get some more done tomorrow but it's a big day of dealing with family commitments so time will tell.
   Before I started work on my Mrs William's blocks I finished off two more donation quilts. The first one was a top made by Marijke of Holland and the second one is a simple top of squares of kid's prints. I had a lady (non-quilter) who was happy to help me by sewing up tops from 6" square blocks. Unfortunately she moved interstate about 5 years ago and this is one of the last tops left to be quilted. I'm determined to get the owing quilts finished by the end of next week so I can focus on packing for our trip. I also want to get more of my Mrs Williams quilt made before we leave so I'd better get off the computer.
Hugs, Jan Mac





2 comments:

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Love that Mrs Billings pattern, it's one on my wish list. I continue to be in awe of the amount of charity quilts you produce.

Gina E. said...

"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"
I love that! Do you mind if I use it on my blog?!
Your quilt is going to be fabulous - I shall never have the patience to try something so complex!