Thursday, July 22, 2021

Comings and Goings.

More lovely donations have arrived with this beautiful quilt from Marie Errington from Qld. 
Kathie Williamson (Vic) donated 2 large parcels containing knitted scarves, hats, baby wraps, soft toys and colouring books which will be appreciated by several organisations.

I also donated another 20 quilts to Backpacks 4 Vic Kids,  as well as baby wraps, baby garments, burp cloths, teddy bears, soft toys and lots of clothing. They're an essential service so they were able to pick up while in lockdown.  The reason they called was to deliver 6 very heavy boxes of donated school jackets.  I'd arranged for the donation from a secondary school some months ago and they hadn't been sure of how they could cover the writing on the logo, so I took a couple of jackets home a few weeks ago.
I made a template, fused fabric to the jacket and then machine button hole stitched around it. It's less obvious in real life and will make these lovely warm jackets usable for foster kids and a great save from landfill too. The school changed uniform and the jackets sell for $75 so I am happy to make them usable.

 I stitched 8 jackets tonight and still have 180 jackets to stitch so I plan to set up 8 to 10 and then stitch them in batches rather than just do 1 or 2 at a time. As the boxes take up a lot of room so I plan on working through them as quickly as possible. 

So far this year we've donated 431 quilts which is due to the very generous donations and support from all 9f you.

Hugs, Jan Mac 

1 comment:

Lauriejo said...

What a brilliant idea for the jackets! It warms my heart to see donations rather than garbage. Lord knows we need a lot less garbage on this poor planet.