Monday, October 8, 2012

Vintage Star Quilt

The top is finished and ready for quilting now but sleeping will be a priority for a few days now.These are a collection of hand pieced stars from the 1930 to 1940s and some are from used fabric and most likely other dressmaking scraps. Not that special other than as an example of "making do" when times were hard.I sashed them with a red to give them a bit of zing and I'm pleased with how they are looking now.
I did add a 5" border in the same fabric as the small squares in the sashing but I didn't like how it looked. It added nothing to the quilt and as many quilts of this era didn't have borders I decided to remove them. The quilting will be in keeping with the era of these stars too.
Off to bed now.
Hugs, Jan Mac
)PS the red and white quilts from the Quilts in the Barn show have affected me it seems as I've just bought a large amount of red and white to hand piece another quilt but I plan to finish Joseph's Coat first. At least that's the plan at the moment lol.!

2 comments:

Sue SA said...

Wow you work quick, looks good, like it without a border, draws your eye to the blocks.

Paula said...

Absolutely beautiful. Looking forward seeing it quilted.