Sunday, August 26, 2012

Applique Heaven

 Yesterday I had a wonderful day of sharing with other Lovers of Applique at the Castlemaine Applique Group. This group is so popular that there is often a waiting list of attendees. The day is run by Corliss and Megan of Threadbear and the Show and Tell was fabulous as usual.
  I was lucky enough to have a quick chat with Linda of Quilts in the Barn blog and she showed the beautiful raffle quilt (as shown in the first photo), which has been made by a group of generous quilters and will be raffled at her exhibition of Red and White Quilts. The exhibition will be held on Fri 5th to Sun 7th Oct 2012 10am-4pm, entry $5 and all funds raised are donated to Breast Cancer Research. Check her blog for more details and as I missed the Red and White exhibition in New York I am very keen to visit her quilt show. We are supposed to be taking a trip to WA but that may have to be delayed until after the Show LOL.
  There were many beautiful quilts shown but I didn't have all the details of their makers so I am only showing a couple and I think more may be seen over on Linda's blog at Quilts in the Barn. The miniature quilt won first prize in the recent Vic Quilters Showcase and was made from 1/4 inch hexagons by Alison Gardner of Goldfields Quilters from Castlemaine. It is a magnificant piece of fine piecing and I think it will be on display at their upcoming 10th Exhibition "As Time Goes By" on Sat 21th and Sun 21st of Oct 21012 at the Castlemaine Town Hall. Buy a ticket in their raffle too if you get the chance as it won second place in the Groups section of Vic Quilters in July and is valued at $2,500.
  The last two photos show Rhonda Coates' fabulous red, white and green quilt which she made while traveling on the train each day. I don't know how she kept it in such pristine condition. Of course she custom quilted it and it really is a beautiful quilt which shows her expertise in hand applique as well as long arm quilting. Rhonda and I spent many hours together delivering donated quilts to those devastated by the tragic bushfires in Kinglake area in 2009, and she is a lovely and very talented lady. Kilmore Quilters are also holding their Quilt In on Sat 13th Oct 2012 10am-4pm at the Kilmore Memorial Hall.
There are so many wonderful quilting events to attend which will invigorate our creativity with more fabulous quilts so we shouldn't be lacking for inspiration. Now I just need more hours in the day. When I see so many beautiful quilts I think I must waste a lot of time on non-essential things like sleeping and the computer. Time to get busy!
I hope you enjoyed the report of upcoming events in Victoria for the next few months and that some of you will take the time to support these groups. Maybe I'll see you there!
 Hugs, Jan Mac



1 comment:

Lynne said...

Ooooo, I especially love that read and green one!