Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Still Not Quilting

I was going to quilt but instead I made some tote bags for Pine Ridge Reservation. These will go to foster kids so they have something to carry their belongings in. I think one of the most demeaning things to do to someone is to have them carry their belongings in plastic bags.
It's a pet peeve of mine and I can remember seeing an elderly man interviewed after Hurricane Katrina and all he wanted was a carry bag for his few belongings instead of using the plastic bag they were handing out. I had a donation of furnishing fabric so I decided to use it up in tote bags for a good cause. I also made a couple of pencil cases with a zippered top and will send them all together with some kid's friendly pillowcases for kids in foster care.
I've also been making and donating tote bags for the Timorese as they only had very friable plastic bags to carry their items to market and if they got a hole in them then they lost their rice.
We take these small things for granted so if you have the time and some fabric just make some tote bags or draw string bags for one of these worthy causes and do a little to make life a little easier for other women and their kids. I look on it as a good way to bust more stash. I used up another 5 yards on the bags.
Bye for now, Jan Mac

3 comments:

Purple Quilter Queen said...

That's a great cause. I really never though about it like you explained. Do yoi have a pattern that you go by for your tote bags? They are cute. Jenn

Dena said...

All the children who receive your bag will benefit from your generosity.

Michele Bilyeu said...

i'm a member of morsbags...making and giving away cloth bags for free out of recycled or repurposed fabrics

totally applaud you

if only i hadnt broken my wrist
i'd make and send some to you!!!!

you just do such good every day of your life

youre my hero...believe me!