Friday, May 16, 2014

Sunny Spain

We've had 2 nights here in Madrid after a brief overnight stop just over the French/Spansih border in san Sebastian. After one more night we leave for Valencia tom orrow for 1 night and then 2 in Barcelona. We came to Spain to get some sunny weather and it seems like it has finally allowed us to almost clear up our coughs after the cold wind in France in the evening.
 We've been into the main part of Madrid by using the Metro which is very easy and efficient. However I'm a bit disappointed in the difficulty we have had with finding shops that are open. The tourist office told us that they would be open from 1000 to 2200 however we have found many close during the day and open again after 5. Some advertise that and then don't open on time. I had spent quite a bit of time researching patchwork shops which were near to where we are staying. We took the Metro only to find that the shop was closed- very disappointing when they advertise their shop hours and then don't open during those hours. We have even had trouble finding supermarkets open so we can buy some basic things like milk.
I did find a fabric shop which was open and sold Spanish pure cotton for quilting and I did manage to buy some more blues for La Passion. I had planned to buy some more today but was disappointed to find the shop was closed. I hope to get what I need in Barcelona if I can find the shops open.
 The architecture is interesting but Madrid has not impressed me as much as I'd hoped. Valencia may be better.
Hugs, Jan Mac

2 comments:

margaret said...

such a shame about the shops, they are so laid back in Spain. Good to read you did find some fabric. I am off to the Malvern quilt show tomorrow and the weather is glorious just hope it is when you arrive in the UK

Marijke said...

lovely fabricshop .did you brought a bic case with you?
the weather is lovely here ,summer next week .i.m off to my daugther for a week .