Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Postman Has Been Busy.

I received another fabulous parcel of 35 QAYG blocks as well as binding fabric from Penel B., of NSW today and they will be perfect for a quilt for a man or teenaged boy. I plan to put it together ASAP and add it to the growing pile of finished quilts for donation.
 A few days ago I also received a donation of the pastel quilt top from a quilting friend, Lorraine B. She received it from the maker who gad fallen out of love with it. It looks like it was made using a layer cake pack and the fabrics are lovely but they were combined in a way which had little contrast between the fabrics in each triangle, which made it a washed out looking top. It also had a few seams that hadn't been completely stitched so I thought I'd repair them and maybe add a border to give it some color. However, as I studied it and took apart the seams that had blown, I could see that it would be a pretty quilt if there was more contrast between the triangles. I took it apart completely and re-stitched it, pairing colors which had more contrast and I think it gives it a real boost of color even though nothing else was added. The first photo doesn't do it justice but I hope you can see what I mean. Now I just need to make a backing to match, hopefully tomorrow.
There is a well known fabric store with 40% off all fabric today so I took the opportunity to buy some more tone on tone fabrics to make more binding strips to finish off more QAYG blocks into quilts. 
Now I'd better get back to work. Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs, Jan Mac

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a difference now you have unpicked the original top and paired up the triangles differently. Excellent idea.