Saturday, February 14, 2009

Finally the Tutorial Part 2




Finally I have made time to update my blog with instructions for joining the QAYG blocks. Just remember that I’m only an enthusiastic amateur and my photos aren’t very professional but they will hopefully give you the idea. I made this up myself so I’m sure that there are many other ways to do this.

First I lay the quilt blocks out. Lately I’ve been using the zig-zag layout. Cut the joining strips the same as you would for binding at 2.5” wide and across the width of fabric. Press the strips in half lengthwise.

Then take the first 2 blocks and place them wrong side together and pin. Then place the joining strip along the seam line and sew in one motion. You will be sewing through 2 blocks of batting and the joining strip. Take the pins out and open the blocks to lie flat. Then machine down the strip to cover the exposed batting seams.

Join the rest of the blocks in the row in the same way. When joining two rows together pin them in the same way as for individual blocks and place the joining strip along the seam and stitch in one motion , then sew down the joining strip over the exposed seams.

Continue until the blocks and rows are all joined and then bind as usual.

HINTS: Use a denim needle to sew all blocks together as it’s the only way to cope with sewing through so many thicknesses without breaking needles. Position the quilt so that you only have one row under the machine throat while you are joining rows as it makes it easier to handle. I hope this makes sense. I use any strings in these quilts but you could make some gender specific by using fabric which is more suitable for males or females. I use a plain coloured joining strip which ties all the colours together. Strangely enough most non-quilters love these quilts as they are like an eye-spy. I love them because they use up odd scraps of batting and fabric which would otherwise be thrown out. It doesn’t matter if you use different background fabric because it just gives it another patchwork of squares on the back. I also use shorter lengths of fabric by joining them together to make them long enough to fit across the block diagonally.

Hope you enjoy making these and have fun with them. I love to have some kid friendly fabric in them to give them interest too.









14 comments:

Ulla said...

This tutorial made the idea perfectly clear, and I'm starting my first ever string quilt and my first ever quilt-as-you-go today. I'll be back later for the details where to send the finished quilt.

Jan Quigley said...

Great Jan, I actually thought the joining strips were hand sewn & worried it would take me forever. Now I know they are machined I can make a complete quilt without feeling I'm holding up the works.
love, Jan.

Donna said...

great explaination of how you do this -- thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for pictures and further instruction. I have a clearer understanding.

kaiteM said...

thank so much Jan, as Ulla said, i'm about to start my first ever QAYG quilt block and with luck it will become my first ever quilt. I'll get something off to you by the end of this week. You must be wearing quilted wings, you're an angel.

Holly said...

Wonderful idea and I'm going to present it to my quilters. Unfortunately I could not print out the remaining instructional pictures but took pictures of my screen and will download them from my camera. Will contact you when we have something for you.

bettyp said...

Jan,I have made some quilts the same way but with the strips in the back and it looks great too!! Thanks for taking the time to do this for us!!
bp

Anonymous said...

Great job, I am gonna try this with some of the scraps I have aquired from making "Quilts for Kids", thanx, Regina

Megan said...

Thank you for this great tutorial. I'm new to quilting and have just discovered string quilting and am getting ready to start my first one. I love this QAYG method--can't wait to try it.

Unknown said...

I love this easy to understand tutorial! I made a QAUG quilt for our church fund raiser. I am currently joining the blocks. I do have a question though. I have found that when I fold the joining strip over the seam that a "hump" is formed. Does yours do that? Is this normal? Thanks soooo much for all your wonderful knowledge that you have shared with so many! Eve

Unknown said...

I have been making these this way for years, except I sew my binding 1/2 inch to the side using a separate seam and then trim my seam allowance and sew again after I fold the binding over to cover the seam...this lessens the bulk in the seam and makes your binding always match up with the next row..also it looks great with the stitching framing 1/2 inch in on all sides of the blocks.

Lynne said...

I get it! That's so clever! And not so complicated as I thought it would be!

deb said...

i get it finally after 2 years i can finish my quilt! thank you


















Gladys said...

Thank you very much for this Tutorial, it was very easy to follow.Have a nice day!