Saturday, August 12, 2017

My Latest Rescue.

 I bought this old treasure with the intention of restoring her. Someone had made an attempt at a rescue in the 1950s by machine stitching circles over all the worn circles, as well as machine stitching a new and wider binding over the original one.
 You can see one of the 'new circles' either side of one of the original circles. The circles are all pieced and not appliqued and it is nicely quilted in cream on the blocks, and in brown along the sashing.

 She is very worn, stained and tattered so I am looking forward to seeing how much I can improve her and bring her back to life.


There is a large number written twice on the backing so it looks like it originally came from an auction house. The backing is a light loosely woven fabric through from that era and the batting is carded cotton. I haven't had time yet to definitely date this quilt so I will give more info as I find it.
 I love working to restore these old quilts as you can learn so much about how quilters made them in eras past.
Hugs, Jan Mac

2 comments:

margaret said...

this is certainly a labour of love you are putting into this restoration project

Marijke said...

great find Jan ,another project for you .