Sunday, April 30, 2017

A Quieter Week.

 A nasty head cold meant that there was less sewing this week and although I managed to clean out 5 cupboards, I spent a few days doing not much while I recovered. I also managed to finish the baby quilt up to the last borders. I added a large border in white for the top of the quilt and that is where I will applique the child's name when he arrives. I chose a bright aqua for the final border and I found a lovely aqua chevron pattern for the binding but might use a darker teal instead of the aqua. It will depend on the colours chosen for the nursery and this one will be for our expected grandson if his mother approves. LOL. Otherwise I'm sure one of the other expected babies will be a boy and I will have one ready to go.
 My DD had requested a "cat" quilt about 7 years ago after her beloved cat, Tiger, passed. I have been collecting cat fabric and really should have made the quilt long ago but kept collecting and puzzling over how to make it. She also wants a photo on fabric of her beloved pet as one of the central blocks. My indecision probably stemmed from worrying about how to do that too.
    Luckily when I packed away most of my fabric I kept the pile of cat fabric and decided it was finally time to get it done. Even if it's not exactly what she had in mind at least it will be finished.
I had already made 8 of the 30 blocks needed and I remember there was also a worry that I didn't have enough of the blue for the whole quilt. I must have found some more because I have enough and hopefully enough of the cream too. I spent a couple of hours working on it last night and should be able to get the blocks finished soon and then try to find a place to copy a photo onto fabric. I used alternate blocks to add more interest and I think I'll add a wide border too in a darker blue.
  It will be good to have it finished and gifted so I can focus on finishing more UFOs. I haven't put myself under too much pressure with UFOs this year as we have so many other things happening.
Linda, the Square in a Square pattern used 6.5" central sqs and 5.75" sqs cut on the diagonal for the outer pieces. I always start with them larger than I need and then trim to size. A couple of the central sqs were only 6" but with adding the outer triangles, it's not obvious.
Hugs, Jan Mac

8 comments:

Needled Mom said...

The cat quilt is going to be fabulous. I hope you are feeling better. The head cold has been going around here too.

jacaranda said...

I am sure your new to be grandson will be spoilt with lots of quilts. Look after yourself Jan and hope you cold disappears soon. It's going to be great to have you living closer to us all.

Linda said...

Great quilts on the go, Jan. The baby one is lovely and your DD's Cat one is super. Love the blue and cream fabrics - they make a very crisp-looking surround for the cat pictures. Your daughter will love it. Thanks for the Square on Sqaure measurements - much appreciated. Hope your cold is improving. I have had one too, a nuisance when you have lots to do.

Maria said...

Do hope you are feeling better Jan..
lovely quilts you are making for your new grandson...

Michele Hill said...

Big hugs for getting well soon Jan xx

margaret said...

trust the head is now better nothing worse than a headache that will not go away. What a lovely cat quilt you are making, both my daughters lost their cats in the past few months maybe I will try something similar or a pillow. Like that you embroider the baby`s name on the quilt I made 6 last year shame I did not think about that.

Marijke said...

Get well soon Jan .love the catquiltfor your grandson.
Hugs Marijke

Dawn said...

Glad you are feeling better. Love the cat quilt.
That's a very sweet baby quilt too.