Saturday, May 4, 2019

Antique Quilt Restoration Finish #2.

 This is my second restoration finish for the year and it really only happened at the moment because we organized my quilting storage space and I was able to find it. I bought it in the mid 1990s from Hickory Hill antiques in the US. That was in the time before the internet sales and I used to select purchases based on the dealer's description. It worked well but the purchases were a surprise when they arrived.
   This was a 1950s quilt top, made in the style of the Gees Bend quilts, i.e. a utility quilt made from household textile remnants. There are pieces of taffeta,  probably from petticoats, shirting and dress making fabric in a mixture of weights.
I had to make some repairs first as some of the seams hadn't held, despite apparently being used, although it may have been used as a summer coverlet. The fabric shown above is a cheater cloth which adds interest. The fabric pieces vary in size and are hand stitched together. The top rippled a bit but it is a good representative of utility quilts of that era, and I thought it was worth restoring and quilting it to ensure its survival.
  It was a fun project to work on and I have a few more of these restoration projects currently in the works.
Hugs, Jan Mac 

1 comment:

Maria said...

Interesting Antique Quilt . Folk did make quilts out of what was on hand many years ago....