Monday, February 11, 2019

Keeping It Real With Quilts.

 Finishing UFOs is a priority at the moment in the hope that it will clear out the cupboards and boxes as well as fabric I have had too long. I can't complain about the fabric though as it's very handy to have a large stash to select from for borders, bindings and backings etc. Not only my UFOs need to be finished but also all the donated bits and pieces. Actually I'm always working on these but I really need to make more room to unpack my special reproduction fabric. I haven't  bought any fabric for ages apart from some kids prints for baby quilts for family.
   This lovely first log cabin quilt was donated as blocks with extra fabric so I  added a border to make it large enough and the extra fabric will go into another quilt.
 The snowman blocks were donated by Maria W. from W.A. and I made extra blocks and added a border to make it large enough for a child.the snowmen are really cute and a child will love it.
   The quilt below was a donated top and I was very happy to find backing and binding in my stash to finish it off. It will be ideal for Peter Mac.
 This lovely red and tan quilt is a AQA top made by a member and I quilted it for the Gift Quilt Program.  The colours are brighter than the photo.
 I showed this quilt last week but I wasn't happy with how it was hanging as the binding was too tight. I've found that it has been happening too often when I use the industrial sewing machine to stitch the binding on. I've worn out 3 domestic sewing machines so I use the industrial machine for all my donation quilts. Lately though, I've found that it is pulling the binding too tight. They look fine on a bed but I like them to hang straight too so I took the binding off and reapplied it with my domestic sewing machine.
It wasn't that obvious when the quilt was laying down but you can see I had to add about 4 inches to make it long enough to lie flat. I'm using my domestic sewing machine to apply all the bindings now and I am much happier with them. You can see the difference in the previous photo below .
Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs, Jan Mac

1 comment:

Maria said...

You always work your magic on the UFO flimsy s to make lovely quilts... pleased you could make a cute kids quilt from the snowmen...