Sunday, January 20, 2019

Slow Sewing.

 My daughters keep telling me that I need to do some sewing for me for once so I found a couple of antique treasures I  had bought to rescue and repair. The first one is a 16 patch Utility quilt top which was never used. It had been divided into 3 pieces for some reason, mainly pieced by machine, but not very accurately. It had a few 4 patch blocks stitched by hand and it seems to gave been pueced by several people as some were accurately pieced and well pressed but others were possibly made by children. A small amount of fabric had deteriorated so I removed that and replaced it with genuine antique fabric from that time.
 The top was from the late 1800s to 1900 and consists of lots of mourning prints, probably leftovers from dressmaking, as well as lots of gingham fabric leftover from shirts. I am planning to hand quilt this one and it's a nice representation of fabric post Civil War.
 I bought this set of antique blocks which vary in size and I am remaking them to be the same size. It's a bit challenging as there is limited fabric and there are very, very small seams to work with.
I'm enjoying doing some more antique quilt restoration to preserve the past.
Hugs, Jan Mac 

3 comments:

Maria said...

Pleased to see you enjoying your restoration of older special quilts..
The HOT weather has finally arrived here.. Phew !!

Linda said...

I agree with your family, you do need to sew for yourself too. The antique repairs look a good way to start. Getting the little grey cells working too, thinking how best to deal with them.

CTNBEE said...

I love your blog and your work. Everything is great matched. I will definitely visit this blog more often because it is very cool.