Friday, June 9, 2017

Jenny Bowker's Shimmering Triangles.

 There's been a few big days of travel in the last week, with a trip to Melbourne on Sunday to see family, then my Melbourne quilting group meeting Monday. I left the meeting early as I had signed up for a 2 day class with Jenny Bowker at Heather's Quilting Emporium in Moama (NSW) and needed to go home to collect all my bits and pieces for class then drive to Moama.
   It was a spur of the moment decision to take the classes as I had always wanted to take a class with Jenny and she is retiring from teaching at the end of the year, and I heard there were a couple of vacancies so signed up on the Friday.
 I was so pleased that I did take the class as Jenny is a fabulous teacher and shares all sorts of techniques and information, more than just the design we were working on in class. She showed her first Shimmering Triangles quilt and how the design has evolved from there.
 I loved this one in reds, orange, yellow contrasting with blacks and greys, to represent the bush fires we've experienced. I didn't have the right fabrics for this one as I wanted to use my stash of Kaffe Fassett fabrics I'd been collecting so that might be a future project. I love the fabric with the very large floral prints, especially the large grey roses.
 Jenny also talked about free motion quilting floral designs to enhance the floral fabric on the white background quilt and her work was lovely.
 This Shimmering Triangles quilt represents a flower garden with the green borders and I loved this one too. It is an ideal size for a gift quilt too.
 This is my progress at the end of day 1 and below is what I had joined after a day and a half.
These are the rest of the fabrics I am using and there isn't actually too much left to do to finish the top. I had such a great time and Heather's hospitality was fantastic with beautiful home cooked meals, good company and a lovely large room for sewing. I can highly recommend Heather workshop days and retreats and she is starting to run some at Beechworth (Vic) too.
   It was a fun class to take with Jenny and it's sad that she is retiring from teaching but she wants to make and design more quilts so I'm looking forward to seeing her new designs too. I was also very happy to have a design which is ideal to showcase my Kaffe Fassett fabric instead of having it stored away as Fat Quarters. This will probably be finished and donated to Peter Mac too as I think it will cheer someone up in need of a hug.
   I'm hoping to get back into quilting more tops soon but in the meantime I am able to do some more piecing. Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs, Jan Mac

4 comments:

margaret said...

you are going to have a pretty special quilt when this is completed the Kaffe fabrics work so well here. Jenny`s quilt is a real beauty too one talented lady

Linda said...

You attended a great class, Jan. Love the quilt and you have made such good progress with yours. Kaffe fabrics are wonderful and you made a great choice to use your collection in this quilt.

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

Your Kaffe fabrics are perfect for the Shimmering Triangles quilt. I hope your arms get better soon.

Marijke said...

Love this pattern and colors,
found the pattern ,Thanks Jan.
Iv,e got a lot Kaffe Fabric to make one after we moved house.