Sunday, August 31, 2014

Tidying By Sewing.

 While cleaning up the piles of fabric I'd been using I found a pile of donated 9 patch blocks and thought it was a good time to make them into a top. I sorted them into piles according to colour and I found there were mostly browns and autumn colours. I also found 8 half square triangles in green and cream so decided to use them and make more to match.
 I trimmed the blocks to 6.25" as they were made by many different people and varied in size. It was time consuming but made it much easier to get them to sew them together.
 I found a variety of different neutrals and greens and made more HST's. I decided to use more blocks to achieve the size I wanted instead of adding borders as I wanted to use up the blocks and not have to find fabric for borders.
I finished stitching the blocks together but ran out of time to get it quilted. i plan to bind it with bright green binding which should also make it look brighter. My distribution of bright and dark greens wasn't as good as I'd liked as I laid them out on the floor and not on a design wall but it will keep someone warm and that is it's purpose. The top measures 42" x 60" and is fine for a boy. I had planned to machine quilt today but didn't feel like it so I guess another top is still a productive use of time. I need to get back to the hexies though as I have lots on the go.
 Off to bed now as I work tonight.
Hugs, Jan Mac

4 comments:

Linda said...

Love your take on tidying up! A quilt top is much more productive than folding fabrics and putting them in drawers. I like your autumn coloured fabrics. The 9 patches and HSTs have made a lovely quilt. I like quilts without borders - I think many quilts look more interesting without them and this is the case here.

June said...

That top has given me the idea of what to do with some very dull nine patch blocks I won - ages ago - I could brighten them up with large half square triangles..........thanks for the idea!

margaret said...

the added green works so well with the browns and like the way you have put these together forming a diagonal pattern

Joy V said...

I also like the green with autumn colours - they work well together. I am sure there is a little boy out there who would love it.