Sunday, May 26, 2013
The second top was a good way to use up some scraps that have been sitting here for too long. The nine patches were not very interesting and have been waiting for their turn to become a quilt. I almost tossed them out as they aren't very pretty colours. That would be a waste of the time I put into them as well as the fabric so I decided to make them into 9" blocks by using up some of the 6" squares I have sitting in boxes. I used to cut all donated fabric into 6" squares and firstly my lovely Mum and Dad used to make the squares into tops that I donated. Then when Mum was unable to sew any more, a lady I worked with took over making the tops. She has now moved interstate and I still have lots of boxes of 6" squares so I thought I could use the brighter ones to make the nine patches look a bit more interesting. I am determined to use up all of these scraps that are filling boxes and bins and now I'm not taking any more donations I am making time to go through all my scraps.
The last top was made using Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville Sting X pattern and I have made enough for a quilt of 48 blocks. It's a quick pattern and a great way to use up smaller scraps that are too short for QAYG blocks.
I have 5 more quilts to make before we leave so I plan to quilt some tops tomorrow. At least taking it easy has given me some time to think about how I want to use up some of these older scraps and projects.
Thanks for your kind words.
Hugs, Jan Mac