Within the quilt I was very surprised to find a petticoat with some pale blue embroidery on the bodice. There were two layers of calico or a mixture of pale fabric and one of them was the petticoat. The batting had disappeared as well and it seems that the cotton batting may have been sandwiched between the two layers of calico or pale fabric. I'm guessing the cotton batting was uncarded as the quilting was quite close together but only a very few remnants of batting remain and must have disappeared with heavy use.
This was a utility quilt and as you can see by the new blocks I've made, there is a hidden gem under all that mess of frayed seams. I'm really enjoying rescuing the fabric and making it pretty again so keep an eye on my progress.
For now I'm back to washing and re-cutting the fabric into its new pieces.
Hugs, Jan Mac
PS I did finish taking apart the suffolk puff piece and will use the fabric to repair other quilts from that era.