Friday, November 16, 2012

Another UFO in Progress

 This UFO is one that I purchased from an antique dealer in the US and It seems to be from the 1940s or 50s. It is in very good condition and has never been washed but there are some fade marks on the top where it has been folded. It is entirely hand pieced but the points where the stems of the tulips intersect were not stitched and they varied quite a bit in size which made it difficult to finish them off.
  Finally I decided to applique a button over the intersecting stems to disguise their irregularities. I had planned to use the colour of the tulips or the green of the stems but it was difficult to match the right shade so I decided to use a soft yellow, typical of what was used at that time and I think it will make them look as if they were planned that way. Then I will be able to quilt it and get it finished to display.
   I've also finished quilting my 1940s star quilt top and just have the binding to hand stitch in place before I show a final photo. Oh and I need to make a label too. I'm also working on the Sawtooth Star blocks that I'm re-making using the vintage fabric so there's lots happening and I hope to have more finishes to show soon. I also have more UFOs and WIPs as well so I won't be short of things to stitch for quite awhile.
Thanks for stopping by.
Hugs, Jan Mac


3 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh yes, that yellow button makes a huge difference. Perfect choice, Jan.

Carole~Wheels on the Warrandyte Bus said...

I agree, those yellow buttons look great.

Ulla said...

Beautiful quilt and great solution to the problem.