These stars are fiddly as they will be 5 " when finished and the frayed edges have meant that I've had to use smaller seam allowances but overall I'm pleased with the progress. I have almost finished deconstructing the old blocks and made 6 stars last night. I've had to substitute new fabric for the white pieces between the half square triangles as that fabric was too small to be used. I'm using the original fabric for the white corner squares, where possible, so there will be a variation in the whites but I think it will add to its charm and authenticity. I'm not worried about being true to the original as it was of no significant historical value and will last many more years when it's finished. I took it apart a few years ago and had forgotten that it was originally quilted but the quilting stitches were not finely done and many had disappeared over the years. The original star blocks were about 6 " square but the pieces were cut a bit irregularly and I needed to make my blocks a bit smaller so I could avoid some of the frayed seam allowances.
I'm very happy with how the new blocks are looking. My other little brag is the dress I made for our beautiful youngest DD's ballroom dancing awards night. The dress is fully lined and the bodice is boned. She wanted it to be well-fitted and I only had 3 days to make it. Even better- she won her category on the night so we are very proud and happy for her. I'm happy to be a dressmaker as well but making quilts which don't have to be fitted to the body but will fit anyone is much easier.
Hugs, Jan Mac