Friday, February 3, 2012

Highlights from Hong Kong


Thank you all for your kind words and best wishes. I am improving now that the antibiotics are taking effect and I have stopped trying to cough up a lung. I'm catching up on sleep too so will soon be busy with the donation quilts again. If the heavy rain and floods continue in NSW and Qld again then quilts may well be needed very soon.
I'm also busy knitting beanies for adults as there will be a Homeless Connect Day in Melbourne in early March and I know that Sydney and Brisbane are also holding them again. The homeless are encouraged to attend and are able to find out about what services are available as well as being able to receive warm blankets, beanies, gloves, scarves and toiletry bags etc. The numbers required are fairly large so if anyone has time to knit a few beanies it would be a huge help. I'll be making more crocheted blankets to donate as well and I make the squares at every opportunity and can usually finish a blanket a week. I also have some fleece to make into quilts for the homeless and will get started with those very soon.
In the meantime I thought I'd post a few photos from our trip. We spent a day at the Flower Market in Hong Kong and the variety of flowers were amazing and they were so colourful. The orchids were fabulous and so large that they must be in ideal conditions. We also visited the Bird Market but didn't stay there long as we really don't like to see birds in cages. Birds and fish though seem to be popular when there is limited space for pets.
More to come soon.
hugs, Jan Mac






1 comment:

Gina E. said...

Hi Jan,
Sorry to hear you have been so ill; rotten ending to your trip! I was thinking the same thing as you while I watched the news about the latest floods in Qld and NSW - more quilts needed! I've been doing a few of my own small patchwork projects since I send my last quilt top to you, but now I'll start planning my first one for this year. Goodness only knows how else I'll get rid of all the fabric I've accumulated from opshops lately! I've also got a dozen crocheted 'granny squares' somewhere that I made when I was learning to crochet in a past life, so if I find them, I'll post them to you. It would be nice to think that someone might actually get some use out of them...